So what is “The United Church”? Here’s the short story:
- Two neighborhood churches
- Concordia United Church of Christ, founded in 1833
- Union United Methodist Church, established in 1845
- Our neighborhood changes
- Single-family homes are replaced by office buildings, apartments, and the George Washington University
- Many Concordia and Union members move to the suburbs
- We unite!
- In January 1975 Concordia and Union become The United Church
- And now?
- We are part of two major Protestant denominations, the United Church of Christ and the United Methodist Church
- We recognize the German heritage of our 1833 founders with twice-monthly services in the German language
- We rejoice in our heritage
- We celebrate our oneness
- We join in worship, music and mission
- We welcome YOU, wherever you are in your journey
- Come, participate in the joy of our life together!